Thursday, November 28, 2013

I run so I can Gobble without the Wobble!

This morning I got up early, yes, on Thanksgiving!! to run a local 5 mile pie race. Yup, you read that right... a PIE run and yes, everyone got an individual size pineapple pie for running the race. Wait, did I say pineapple pie?!?! I had never heard of it before, but it was yummy! And I'm not really a fan of pie, so that's saying something!

This was the first time I ever ran a race on my own... as in, completely alone! I've run a few races by myself before (which I don't mind at all) but I've always had my  husband or someone there to hang out with me before the race & to watch me. But this time I let the kids &  hubby stay home  and sleep in, while I ventured out to my race.

Despite being in the 30's and windy, I wasn't cold at all.... I was bundled up enough & it felt like a perfect day for a run!  I was still nursing an injured hip from my long run on Sunday so I decided to do 2:1 intervals and take it easy. I also did something I don't normally do.. I left my garmin on the walk/run interval screen and didn't look at my ongoing pace at all. I did not want to start obsessing over the pace & push myself too hard, so I just let myself run at a pace I felt comfortable with, without feeling pain. I finished at 56:02 mins with a pace of just a tad over an 11 minute mile. I was expecting worse since I was taking it 'easy' so I was pleasantly surprised by that. And since my 'normal' pace is between 10 & 11 min mile, it wasn't that far off!!

After the race, I headed inside to grab some water & a bagel and they were raffling off bigger pies. My number got called right after I walked in so I snagged an apple pie and then headed home.

Since this race did not give a finisher's medal, I piggybacked it with a virtual race I had signed up for and earned my "I run so I can gobble without the wobble" turkey medal!





No comments:

Post a Comment