Sunday, June 9, 2013

Flyers' Fitness 5k

After my bad experience at the Girls on the run 10k last weekend, I decided I needed to take a step back and run a 5k, which is probably what I should have started off with to begin with.
Early this morning,  my husband, kids & I set out to my first 5k. The race was to benefit an elementary school so I hoped it would be kind of low-key.  It wasn't as hot as the run last weekend, but still in the 70's, so I was hoping for a good run.
We arrived at the school about 20 minutes before race time and my kids ran off to play on the playground while I checked in and got my bib.
My kids & husband walked over to the start line with me where we took a few pics and waited for the race to begin.

Once again, my goal for this race was to follow my 10:1 interval schedule and hopefully finish around 33 minutes. 









The countdown began and then "GO!" and we were off. I was careful this time to pace myself a little better in the beginning. The first mile took us on a loop out to the local main drag where we ran down a hill (YAY) and by the fire station. The fire trucks were out and the firemen were standing outside cheering us on. It was a great start. As we rounded the corner back to the school to set out on our loop around the neighborhood (which we had to do 2 times), I heard my kids yelling for me. That made me feel great that they were there cheering me on! My  husband snapped this pic of me as I ran by




As I was starting the first of 2 loops around a quiet neighborhood, all of a sudden, a group of runners joined us from the right. It was people that had already done their first loop. I could not believe it!! But I didn't let it get to me. I just kept my head calm and continued on with my 10:1 intervals. Some very kind souls put their sprinklers on for us to run through and some were even sitting outside cheering us on. Finally, I was making my way into loop 2, that meant less than a mile to go. I was feeling great, a little hot, but great and my time was good. As I finished my second loop, I was in the home stretch, just .2 of a mile to go, and that's when I saw it.... a hill. It wasn't time for my walking interval just yet, I still had a minute to go, but I decided to stop for my walk a little early that way I could start the hill with a walk, since I was getting kind of tired. Once I was at the top of the hill, I could see it, the finish chute! I started picking up speed, I just wanted to get there as fast as I could. My eyes were darting back and forth, looking for the familiar faces of my kids and finally I heard "THERE SHE IS!"
Can you see the smile on my face in the next picture when I saw my kids standing inches away from the finish line cheering me on?




And then a second later, it was over!





No comments:

Post a Comment